Saturday, April 18, 2015

Down the Photoshop Road

Included in this week’s readings for the Social Role of the Mass Media class was a piece called “Detecting the Truth in Photos,” which detailed the ever increasing ease with which one can manipulate photos.  Not only is Photoshop and its ilk widely available and periodically updated, providing more opportunity for image manipulation, but the rapid nature of social media posting makes the spread of such images more rampant and, I would say, so frequent that only the most dedicated among us has time to do the legwork to investigate whether an image has been altered.

And as a dedicated journalism teacher, I looked down on Photoshop use, even by my best friend Paul, who likes to add filters and effects to photos using the program.

Chicago, Illinois.  Looking northeast from the Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower).  
Photographed by Stephen Milligan (June 14, 2012). 
I looked down on Photoshop, that is, until the summer of 2012.

That summer I found myself on an architectural pilgrimage to the Midwest to visit and photograph as many Frank Lloyd Wright properties as I could in Wisconsin.  The icing on the cake was the fact that the Wright Plus housewalk in Wright’s Oak Park, Illinois, neighborhood coincided with the first leg of my trip, so, of course, I took advantage of this opportunity!

Now, you may be wondering what this has to do with Photoshop.

When I returned to South Carolina and began pulling the photos off of the memory card to categorize and edit them, I was horrified to see an indistinct gray blob in the top left corner of the last several sets of photos.  Somehow, at the end of the Wisconsin portion of my trip and all the way through my second stop in Chicago (and, yes, there would have been a third stop in Chicago if there had been any way possible), some dust or debris had found its way into the camera and lodged itself on the lens, creating this blob on each photo.  And since I couldn’t see it in the viewfinder, I never even knew it was there. 

My immediate concern was getting the camera repaired before I took any other photos.  Unfortunately, there’s a dearth of camera stores these days, especially around here, so the best and closest one I could find was Biggs Camera in Charlotte, North Carolina, about an hour north of me.  This was in no way a hardship, though, because of the Cheesecake Factory in SouthPark Mall, just minutes from the camera store!

Of course, my next concern was what to do about the spot in the photos.  In some photos, the blob was indistinguishable, obscured by trees or dark colors or patterns, but all shots with sky or light colors at the top left were ruined.  Creative cropping only helped in a few cases.  I certainly couldn’t go back and recreate my trip (although I would have loved to), and I certainly couldn’t discard all of those photos of Frank Lloyd Wright properties, a few county courthouses, and that stunning Chicago skyline. 

So I broke down and bought Photoshop.

I can’t say I did it all perfectly, but I managed to get rid of that gray blob in each photo.  Was I manipulating reality?  Not really, I suppose, because the blob really wasn’t in the sky or on the building or floating above a daylily blossom.  And keep in mind, these photos were not being used to illustrate news—I justify this to myself by thinking of these as artistic photos rather than journalistic photos.

“Detecting the Truth in Photos” tells us the latest versions of Photoshop are so advanced that some changes are practically undetectable.

I needn’t worry about that—the work of my steady hand could be spotted all the way from Chicago…

No comments:

Post a Comment